- Quick Facts
Courtesy of the Weekly Standard, please check out the following union thuggery: Pro-Union Activist Threatens the Michigan Governor: ‘We’ll Be at Your Daughter’s Soccer Game’
A speaker at a protest against Michigan’s right-to-work legislation said that Republican governor Rick Snyder will “get no rest” from pro-union activists if Snyder signs the bill into law.
“Just know one thing, Rick Snyder: You sign that bill, you won’t get no rest,” said Rev. Charles Williams II at the Tuesday rally in Lansing, according to Michigan Capitol Confidential. “We’ll meet you on Geddes Road. We’ll be at your daughter’s soccer game. We’ll visit you at your church. We’ll be at your office.”
Following the threats by the Reverend Charles William II to the governor’s daughter, state representatives Rick Hammmel and Tim Greimel pandered to the crowd, complaining about union “rights” to being taken away.
Greimnel called the bill the most “anti-middle-class agenda” the state has ever seen.
I propose this bill was one of the most favorable bills in support of the middle-class that Michigan has ever seen.
The truth of the matter is Collective Bargaining neither a Privilege nor a Right.
Five Ways Collective Bargaining Tramples Various Unalienable Rights
- Collective bargaining agreements force individuals into organizations against the free will of those members.
- Collective bargaining agreements take away the right of individuals to pursue a career of their dreams void of union affiliation.
- Collective bargaining agreements force union dues out of members who do not even want to belong.
- Collective bargaining agreements dictate what members can and cannot do with their free time.
- Collective bargaining agreements even dictate what non-members can and cannot do with their free time!
Union activists have things ass-backwards. Michigan has suffered mightily because of it. Detroit was destroyed by unions. Jobs fled the state. If that’s not anti-middle-class, what is?
I commend the legislature for passing this pro-middle-class legislation that will reduce costs to cities throughout the state, putting more money into taxpayer pockets at the same time.
Public unions only exist via coercion, threats, and vote buying such as that displayed by Rev. Charles Williams II.
Public unions serve no purpose and even FDR agrees. For details, please see Public Union Protesters More Like Greek Extortionists than Egyptian Freedom Fighters; Unions Under Fire in Wisconsin, Ohio, Tennessee; Student Idiocy
About the author: Mike “Mish” Shedlock is a registered investment advisor representative for Sitka Pacific Capital Management. His top-rated global economics blog Mish’s Global Economic Trend Analysis offers insightful commentary every day of the week. He is also a contributing “professor” on Minyanville, a community site focused on economic and financial education. Every Thursday he does a podcast on HoweStreet and on an ad hoc basis he contributes to many other websites, including UnionWatch.
If you enjoyed this article, please consider sharing it!
- Howard Beale on Palo Alto’s Proposed New Pension Tax – Oops, Hotel Tax
- james taylor on Documents Expose Union Lobbying Scheme to Control Water Project Construction
- Richard Rider on Watsonville, California – Another Tax That’s Really Just For Pensions
- greg hauenstein on Government Unions and the Bankrupting of America
- Douglas47 on Union Power in the States: Lost Pay, More Taxpayer Debt
- Douglas47 on California’s 2014 Local Tax Proposals – The Costly Alternative to Pension Reform
- SeeSaw on California’s 2014 Local Tax Proposals – The Costly Alternative to Pension Reform
- Jody Morales on California’s 2014 Local Tax Proposals – The Costly Alternative to Pension Reform
- Richard Rider on Karen Lewis and Chicago’s Illiteracy Problem
- Rancho PV on Civic Openness in Negotiations Ordinances Hold Elected Officials Accountable